2011-04-08 "Strawberries, mushrooms with Cesium-137 found in Northern California; 5 of 6 items in food chain sampling test have radioactive particles"
UCB Food Chain Sampling Results, University of California, Berkeley Department of Nuclear Engineering [http://www.nuc.berkeley.edu/node/2525]:
Six items were tested: spinach, strawberries, cilantro, topsoil, grass, and mushrooms. Measured in Becquerel per kilogram.
* Wild Mushrooms, Collected April 2 in Alameda, CA:
I131 @ 8.4 Bq/kg
Cs134 @ .63 Bq/kg
Cs137 @ .47 Bq/kg
* Strawberries, “Best By” Date of April 1, Location Unknown :
I131@ 2.5 Bq/kg
Cs134 @ .69 Bq/kg
Cs137 @ .67 Bq/kg
* Grass, Collected April 3 in Alameda, CA:
I131 @ 9.8 Bq/kg
Cs134 @ 6.9 Bq/kg
Cs137 @ 6.9 Bq/kg
*Spinach, “Best By” Date of April 8, Location Unknown:
I131 @ 2.8 Bq/kg
* Topsoil, Collected April 6 in Alameda, CA:
I131 @ 12.5 Bq/kg
Cs134 @ .99 Bq/kg
Cs137 @ 1.5 Bq/kg
* No radionuclides were found in Cilantro from an unknown location
Read the report here [http://www.nuc.berkeley.edu/node/2525].
Guidance Levels for Radionuclides in Domestic and Imported Foods, Food and Drug Administration, July 2004 [http://www.fda.gov/Food/FoodSafety/FoodContaminantsAdulteration/ChemicalContaminants/Radionuclides/UCM078341]:
For infants the FDA set the level of concern at 55 Bq/kg of Iodine-131.
Table 8 - Derived Intervention Levels (Bq/kg)
(radionuclide groups, most limiting of all diets)
Radionuclide Group Derived Intervention Levels
Sr-90 160 (15 years)
I-131 170 (1 year)
Cs group 1200 (adult)
Ru-103(a) 6800 (3 months)
Ru-106(a) 450 (3 months)
Pu + Am group 2 (3 months)
(a)Due to large differences in DILs for Ru-103 and Ru-106, the individual concentrations of Ru-103 and Ru-106, the individual concentrations of Ru-103 and Ru-106 are divided by their respective DILs and summed. The DIL for the Ruthenium group is set at less than one.
* Latest UCB test results: First time radioactive cesium found in spinach, arugala, and kale around San Francisco Bay area [http://enenews.com/latest-ucb-test-results-first-time-radioactive-cesium-found-arugala-kale-spinach-around-san-francisco]
* Human embryos in US likely bioaccumulating radioactive iodine, cesium, and strontium says physician who taught at Harvard Med School [http://enenews.com/human-embryos-bioaccumulating-radioactive-iodine-cesium-strontium-physician-taught-harvard-med-school]
* Cesium-137 levels in Vermont milk at 66% of maximum contaminant level allowed by EPA [http://enenews.com/cesium-137-levels-in-vermont-milk-at-66-of-maximum-contaminant-level-allowed-by-epa]
* IAEA: “Uncontrolled nuclear chain reactions” may be coming from melted fuel in No. 1 reactor [http://enenews.com/iaea-melted-fuel-in-no-1-reactor-may-be-causing-uncontrolled-nuclear-chain-reactions-bloomberg]
* Cesium-134 and 137 found in US food supply; Organic milk bought in San Francisco Bay Area [http://enenews.com/cesium-134-and-137-found-in-organic-milk-near-san-francisco-first-time-radioactive-cesium-found-in-us-milk-supply]